W.I.L.L. Society - Why I Leave a Legacy
Provide lasting support for Heifer's mission with a planned estate gift
The factors that contribute to poverty and hunger are complex, interrelated and were developed over many decades or longer. It is expected that sustainable solutions to profound hunger and poverty at the country or region-level will also take decades.
A bequest — a gift to Heifer Foundation specified in your will — will give you peace of mind knowing that your support of Heifer's work of ending hunger and poverty will continue for many years after your lifetime. Providing a gift to Heifer in your will is a way to leave a legacy of helping others, and it can also have certain tax benefits for your estate and heirs.
With a bequest or other end-of-life gift, you can:
- Leave a legacy that will continue to support Heifer's work for generations. Heifer Foundation's endowment is invested for long-term growth, and every year a portion of Heifer Foundation's endowment is made available for use by Heifer in its work to end hunger and poverty.
- Remain in control of the funds during your lifetime. A bequest does not become irrevocable until death; this means that you can change the bequest at any time during your lifetime.
- Reduce estate taxes. Your estate will receive an estate tax deduction for a portion of the gift made by the estate to charity.
- Spare family members the burden of paying both estate and income taxes by leaving retirement plan assets to a non-profit organization.
- Help continue Heifer’s ongoing mission.
Bequests are not just for the wealthy. Even a small portion of a typical estate can be a very meaningful gift to Heifer's work to end hunger and poverty.
Heifer Foundation W.I.L.L. Society
Heifer Foundation's Why I Leave a Legacy (W.I.L.L.) Society was created to recognize individuals who have notified us that they have included a gift for Heifer in their will. Although your notification of your intent is not a binding agreement, it allows us to project future support for Heifer's mission to end hunger and poverty.
If you have already notified us that you have included Heifer in your will, then you are already a member of the Heifer Foundation W.I.L.L. Society. We want to send you a special W.I.L.L. Society certificate customized with your name to recognize your generous gift to a world in need.
To request your W.I.L.L. Society certificate
Please fill out this short form tell us how you would like your name to appear on the certificate and where to send it. While you are here, please take a minute to tell us why YOU leave a legacy. Click here to tell us your story.
What options do I have?
Heifer Foundation and its employees are not engaged in rendering legal or tax advice. The content provided is for general information purposes only. Advice and assistance on specific cases should be obtained from attorneys or other professional counsel. Be aware of tax revisions. Because individual state laws govern charitable gifts, wills and trusts, the advice of an attorney should be sought when considering any of these gifts.